Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mission: Impossible? I would like to think NOT!

All day I was staying open and aware to what word I might choose to explore.  Today we spent quite a bit of time together as a class discussing ideas and beliefs that would eventually be the backbone to our "Mission Statement."  At first I wasn't sure if I was just making the word choice easy or in fact I had chosen something that would require a much deeper mindfulness this time.  Developing a mission statement is a very important part for all twenty of us students to participate in.  We need to make sure we are in agreement with the statement that will define everything we strive to accomplish this entire semester.  Its possibly the most important thing we can do to bring us together for one common goal.



I kept thinking about my own experience with mission statement formation.  I am fortunate to have been involved in the formulation process of this definitive declaration with a few different groups and businesses.  I have learned how important each word choice is in the overall final proclamation, since Mission Statements will  normally become assessable to the public, who will read it with their own voice and immediately attach an expectation to it.  These expectations stem from the fact that the statement becomes like a promise.  Since it directly comes from the people, group or business that plans to achieve some form of a goal- their measure of successfully fulfilling their promises will come from the people they serve or interact with.

For every session of CUL 295- Contemporary Dining and Cuisine the class is required to decide on a mission statement together, and then agree that it states everything they plan to complete in the final semester before graduation.  This mission statement will become apart of the printed menu so it is visible to all restaurant patrons who dine at our restaurant.  It will be required that we know and understand this assertion in the case of a test question in reference to it intricacies too.  It ultimately should become something like a mantra for all of us, as we practice teamwork at its best and emerge into our roles as future chefs.

**I started to think that this might be a great opportunity to create my own Mission Statement.  Except First... What does the word mission mean and what does it mean to me??

1mis·sion

 noun \ˈmi-shən\

Definition of MISSION

1
: a body of persons sent to perform a service or carry on an activity: as : a specific task with which a person or a group is charged
 : a preestablished and often self-imposed objective or purpose mission>


What could I come up with that would fit into not just my goal oriented journey in culinary school but also my everyday life. What are my objectives?? Thankfully this didn't take me too long.  I guess when it is up to only one person to decide the best fit- For me, myself and I, all who have regular conversations very very often, the final decision was simple:

Mission statement- January 18, 2011 for Stephanie:

With a Heart full of Ambition and a constant smile- I will practice Honesty, Humbleness, Happiness, Healthy Choices, be a Willing Helper, Always Hopeful, and stay full of Humility.


Simple, 
direct, and defining...