Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday's Plate- My Favorite Roasted Tomato Basil Soup- "Lava Soup"

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

I am going to share with you my recipe for my favorite soup. It is quick and easy and in my opinion "Super Tasty!" The inspiration or model for this soup came from a Tyler Florence recipe on Tyler's Ultimate/Food Network. I took the basics for Tyler's soup and then added my own spin to it, and maybe made it a little bit healthier too! If you get a chance to make it- let me know what you think. It is a great "pick me up" soup with a wedge of good crusty sour dough bread to dip.

Chef's Note- When I make this recipe I really don't pay attention to amounts- I just throw it together depending on what I have- but this is basically the way it goes- there are a few variables in amounts depending on how much you like garlic or basil. Also you can peel and seed the fresh tomatoes if you like- it may make the soup a little sweeter- I like the rustic feel and taste of keeping the whole tomato :)

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup- Lava Soup

Ingredients:
4-6 cups whole Tomatoes quartered
(I have used my home canned tomatoes- But fresh is best- Summer's Best!)
1 Large Onion Ends trimmed, paper removed and Cut into Wedges
3-6 Cloves of Garlic left whole or slightly crushed
(depending on how much you like garlic use more or less)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
(enough to drizzle over the tomato/garlic/onion and toss to coat evenly)
Sea Salt and Ground Pepper to taste

2 cups Vegetable Broth
2-3 tablespoons or Fresh Basil Minced

Method:
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees
-Place Tomatoes, onion wedges, and garlic into a roasting pan- drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and place in oven on top rack. Stir ingredients in pan after 15 minutes, the onions and tomatoes should be started to get a toasted look to them- Roast for an additional 15 minutes.
-While tomato mix is roasting, heat up the vegetable broth and keep warm in a medium to large stock pot.
-Remove the roasted tomato mix from the oven and add it to the warmed broth
- Bring to a boil- constantly stirring -for one-two minutes
-Remove from heat and use a stick blender to puree the ingredients until smooth. (A standard blender will work too- just work in batches and be careful with the hot liquid)
-Once the soup is pureed add the minced Basil and stir it in.
-Hold the soup on a low heat until ready to serve.

This soup reheats really nicely too- Stellar Eats, a Stephie Sheffer's Kitchen Treat!